Friday 26 April 2013

Third Week Of Final Major Project

Monday 22nd April



Today Tim and me started working on the level design, (Racing track) we both researched into existing racetracks in games and in real life to understand how a racetrack is structured and made challenging while at the same time fun. Examining existing game racetracks such as crash team racing, Sega Rally 3 and Virtual racer I found a very good range of different designs within racetracks. Taking parts that we liked from each racetrack and drawing them out as thumbnail sketches on paper, allowed us to explore different design ideas. Tim and me would both draw 3 to 5 thumbnail sketch’s and choose the ones we felt would work in our game, then combined the top chosen ones together to make a new unique track design that we both could be happy with.  



Example of Tim thumbnail sketches (Track number two was chosen)



Example of my thumbnail sketches (Track Number 4 was chosen)



Final result (Combining Tim's track number 2 and my track number 4 together)



We will use this track design and take it into Photoshop to make a better mockup of the sketch.



Thursday 24th April 



Today I just got on with drawing a better and neater version of our racetrack within Photoshop, while Matt cracked on to getting our rally car working and programmed into Unity. A pretty layback day, but much discussion was taken place about next weeks task of creating the in game assets needed and how the track parts would be constructed, this will be a different task and with other models happening at the same time, getting correct time management is important. 

From this week I feel we have been able to keep on track and schedule. Being able to see our track design roughly drawn out, really gave me a great feeling in progress within the team. I love the track design, and I feel it will display a great range of corners and driving difficulty for the player to drive around in. I will be starting my audio research for the sound effects and music for our game very soon, this will allow me gain a better understanding into how the music and sound will work within our game.

No comments:

Post a Comment