Thursday 23 May 2013

Making The Sound Effects

Within this blog post I will explain the process and thoughts I have undertaken when making the sound effects for our game.

From the research done, I know the sound effects from Sega Rally are pretty bad, understandably we want to create a somewhat parody of Sega Rally but I felt the sound effects can still be good instead of the low quality sound effects used by Sega Rally.

(Please note the following links provided will take you to soundcloud. The sound effects should play automatically, but sometimes it doesn't, just click the orange play button to play the sound effect. Also there appears to be a weird bug on soundcloud where it turns the volume off on the page. In the top right is an icon of a speaker, be sure that it is turned on. Thank you) 

Knowing which sounds I needed to make, thanks to my research, I started my sound effects with the easy ones. The first sound effect is the crowd cheering. To achieve the sound effect I wanted, I just used two apple loop sound effects (Please note that apple loops are royalty free). These two sound effects both provide when layered over each other, the correct sound effect that I needed. The overall sound these two sound effects created was perfect.

 (Example of crowd cheering tracks)

(Follow the link below to listen to crowd cheering) 
https://soundcloud.com/patrickcollegework/crowds-cheering?in=patrickcollegework/sets/sound-effects-for-j-ga-rally

Moving on I moved onto the booing, this wasn't as straight forward as the crowd cheering, for starters the only sound effects I could get of people reacting badly, was people booing. However I could use the booing sound effect together, mixed with three gasping sound effects. These gasping sound effects help provide that shock factor to the sound effect. Once I had controlled each tracks volume level, it was ready to go. I was surprised by the result I got which made me happy, and the team was to.
(Example of Crowd booing tracks)

(Follow the link below to listen to crowd booing)
https://soundcloud.com/patrickcollegework/crowd-boo-reaction?in=patrickcollegework/sets/sound-effects-for-j-ga-rally

Completing both crowd sound effects, I then moved onto the car bump. I wanted this sound to be light, not heavy, but when it came to experimenting with light bump sounds, they really sounded bad, just like the Sega Rally car bump sound effect. Knowing this, I mixed a range sound effects together to provide a level of texture within the sound effect. This range of texture helped to make the sound effect come across richer with detail, helping to express damage being taken. I used three metal impact sounds, this helps to show impact with the metal of the car, this along side with a glass breaking sound effect and metal crash sound effect, all helped to bring out the overall intended sound effect of a car taking damage.

(Example of Car bump tracks)

(Follow the link below to listen to car bump)
https://soundcloud.com/patrickcollegework/car-bump?in=patrickcollegework/sets/sound-effects-for-j-ga-rally

The skid would prove to be a bit of a challenge. Representing a sound effect which shows the wheels of a car, breaking against sand is a pretty tricky business, so a range of sound effects mixed together will be used to help bring out that sound effect that I need.
Six sound effects of debris from almost all terrains were used, such as earth debris, dirt debris and rock debris. These sounds effects were all controlled by volume to provide the correct level of detail within the sound effect. An extra sound effect from freesound.com 33416__acclivity__bicylestopping (Royalty free sound effects) of a bike breaking on sand was used to provide extra texture and representation of wheels skidding on sand. Because it's a rally car, and not a bike skidding, I added in an actual sound effect of wheels skidding against concrete. I used two different sound effects of wheels skidding and bounced them off as two separate audio files, one is a short skid the other is a long skid.

I can't honestly say how this sound effect will work within the game until I see and hear it work within the engine. From seeing it in the engine I will be able to determine if it needs further editing to make the skid sound effect better.

(Example of both skid tracks)


(Follow the link below to listen to shot skid)
https://soundcloud.com/patrickcollegework/skid-1?in=patrickcollegework/sets/sound-effects-for-j-ga-rally

(Follow the link below to listen to long skid)
https://soundcloud.com/patrickcollegework/skid-2?in=patrickcollegework/sets/sound-effects-for-j-ga-rally

The selection sound effect was created and designed around the same sound effects that Sega would design, so taking this into consideration I found some sound effects which can help represent that same sound. Collecting digital and computer sound effects can all help to show a sound effect that is computer generated. The three digital sound effects provide data like processing sounds that can help represent to the listener that a computer is processing information. The last sound, a computer data sound effect, brings that bleep and game like selection sound that was needed. I added an echo effect on the computer data sound effect to change it's form, as the original sound was to short and didn't sound very Sega, but by adding echo to it, it helped to bring that cheesy selection sound effect I wanted from it.
(Example Selection sound tracks)


(Follow the link below to listen to selection sound)
https://soundcloud.com/patrickcollegework/select?in=patrickcollegework/sets/sound-effects-for-j-ga-rally

Next was a the Selection highlight sound effect (Sound of a moving highlighter in game). This took the same thought process as the selection sound effect I did earlier, but for this highlight sound effect I will follow the same structure and sound as Outrun does within their game. The first Selection highlight I created had three whoosh sound effects overlapping each other, allowing the sound effects to work together to create a unique sound. However the first selection highlight was to intense, after displaying the sound to my team, so I turned it down by muting the middle track (as seen in image below). Whoosh 03 was a very intense audio file, so muting that sound allowed me to create a second sound effect which everyone was happy with.

 (Example of Selection highlights tracks)

(Follow the link below to listen to Selection highlight, the unused version)
https://soundcloud.com/patrickcollegework/selection-move-highlight?in=patrickcollegework/sets/sound-effects-for-j-ga-rally

(Follow the link below to listen to the new selection highlight)
https://soundcloud.com/patrickcollegework/selection-move-highlight-type?in=patrickcollegework/sets/sound-effects-for-j-ga-rally

A gear changing sound effects in modern games are designed to sound like the same gear changing sound effects heard in action movies, so taken that into consideration, I wanted to design my gear changing sound effect to have that same sound and feeling to it. Gear changes often have a piston hiss sound effect, with a clunk sound to represent the gears changing and taking effect within the car, so I found on freesound.org two sound effects which can help bring that texture and sound I need, 116598__mrmccormack__mrm-elantragearshfit and 119741__jesabat__steam-hiss. These two files of a gear stick changing in a car, to a steam hiss sound, can work together to bring out the sound effect I need. I added an extra sound to bring more texture to the sound effect by using another hiss sound, this sound was from apple loops, it is a sound effect of a spray can. Mixing all the sounds together and controlling their volume levels, allowed me to create a pretty cool gear changing sound effect, that everyone in the team really liked.

(Example of gear change tracks)

(Follow the link below to listen to gear change)
https://soundcloud.com/patrickcollegework/gear-change?in=patrickcollegework/sets/sound-effects-for-j-ga-rally

Having done most of the sound effects now. I need to now work on the sound effects for the car. Because of the tutorial Matt is using in unity to help make our game, already has a good sound effect of a car engine in loop and with a very decent range of pitch shifting engine sounds to represent levels of the cars gears, we all agreed because of the lack of time we have on this project, that we would use the tutorials car engine sound effects. However the car tutorial does not have a neutral car engine sound effect, so I tasked myself to quickly make one suitable to be used within our game.

I went onto freesound.org to get a sound effect of a cars engine in neutral. 106487__klankontwerp__4banger-engine-outside-2, this sound effect was great for what we wanted, but it still wasn't perfect, as the sound effect needed to be able to loop. It took me a long time to find the correct areas within the sound effect which could sync up when the sound replays, it's important to get the sound just right so the listeners are not aware of the audio repeating it's self. I did this by using the looping grid within logic (Green bar above the blue track in image below). I lined it up and moved it here and there till I found that sweet spot. Once I found it, I bounced the sound effect off. I checked it over with my team who also checked to insure it looped well, once checked they were all pretty impressed and pleased with the result.

(Example of neutral gear track)


(Follow the link below to listen to neutral gear)
https://soundcloud.com/patrickcollegework/engine-neutral-loop?in=patrickcollegework/sets/sound-effects-for-j-ga-rally

Summary:
From creating all of these sound effects for our game, I feel a great sense of achievement from creating them. I now have to wait to see how my sound effects play within the game engine, as we are not ready just yet for the sound effects. I feel bad for not making the sound effects for the car engines gears, but because of time, and the fact it's a tricky task to do, meant that I couldn't really create the sound effects, which is a great shame as I have never created a range of engine sound effects before. Overall the team all approved of the sound effects created, and I can feel complete, knowing that I have performed my role within the team to get these sound effects done.

No comments:

Post a Comment